Bruce Arena has resigned as head coach and athletic director of the New England Revolution after being placed on administrative leave amid an investigation into “insensitive and inappropriate comments.”
Arena was placed on leave on July 30, and Major League Soccer (MLS) announced late Saturday that it had confirmed “certain” allegations against the resigned coach.
“It was announced earlier this evening that Bruce Arena has resigned as athletic director and head coach of the New England Revolution,” Major League Soccer said in a statement. “Arena was placed on administrative leave on July 30 pending further changes to his duties. Allegations that he made insensitive and inappropriate comments are under review. The findings substantiate some of the allegations and Arena must first submit a petition to the commissioner if he wishes to serve in Major League Soccer (MLS) in the future.
“Major League Soccer is committed to a safe and welcoming work environment and expects all employees of the league and its clubs to conduct themselves appropriately in the workplace.”
The charges stem from a complaint filed by assistant coach Richie Williams, The Athletic reported.
The investigation stems from comments Arena allegedly made to the coaching staff, The Athletic reported.
Williams has been serving as interim coach for the team, which drew 1-1 with Minnesota United on Saturday.
Arena confirmed his resignation in a statement on Saturday, saying he still had work to do after making a “mistake.”
“I know I made some mistakes, and going forward I plan to take some time to reflect on the situation and take corrective steps to address what happened,” Arena said.
Arena has served as New England’s head coach since 2019 and has a 71-48-37 record.
He coached three other MLS teams, including the Red Bulls (2006-07), and won five MLS Cup titles.
He has led the U.S. Men’s National Team twice (1998-2006, 2016-17) and led the team to the quarterfinals of the 2022 World Cup.